Arundel Castle (III)
Owner: Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co. Ltd.
Vessel Type: Passenger ship
Official No: 145175
Builder: Harland & Wolff Ltd, Queen's Island, Belfast
Yard No: 455
Laid down: 25 November 1915
Launched: 11 September 1919
Handed over: 8 April 1921
Port & Date of Registry: London, April 1921
Managing Owner & Address: Isaac J. Newcombe & Arthur H. Milbourne (London), David Storrar (Southampton)
Number of Decks: 3
Number of Masts: 2
Framework & Description of Vessel: Steel
Number of Bulkheads: -
Number of water ballast tanks: -
Length: 630.5 feet
Breadth: 72.5 ft
Depth: 41.95 ft
Gross Registered Tonnage: 19,023 tons
Engine Builder: Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast
Engine Type: 4 X Parson's steam turbines, single reduction, geared to two shafts
Nominal Horse Power: 3,055
Description: Cylindrical multi-tubular
Iron or Steel: Steel
Pressure when loaded: -
Speed: 18 knots
Signal Letters: K. H. V. L.
Arundel Castle was the last four funnelled liner constructed by Harland & Wolff. (see: Advert Archive) Her sister, Windsor Castle (Yard No. 456C), was also designed by Harland & Wolff, but the pressure of post-war work led to the contract for her construction (the very last four funnel liner built) being placed with John Brown & Co., on Clydebank.
In November 1936 Arundel Castle returned to Belfast for a major rebuild and refit. The vessel re-entered service in October 1936 after being lengthened, her four funnels replaced with two and her bow altered to bring her up-to-date and looking more like Harland & Wolff's motor ship designs.